Friday, July 3, 2015

1st Year Back in the Classroom...DONE!

a letter from a student of mine <3
Three years into teaching, I left to pursue a career in corporate (still within the education field). A year and a half later, I missed the classroom... a lot. My days were very long and I was working 6 days a week. I didn't get home till 10p.m. most week nights and 5p.m. on Saturdays. It was not ideal. I rarely saw my family and I saw my friends even less. It was time for a change. I left that job in December 2014 and started my new job as a kindergarten teacher in January 2015 and what a ride it has been!

I have loved every minute of it. I never thought I would like the younger age group. They're harder to reason with and they still pee and crap themselves. A lot of times I felt like I was a mom, but these kiddos have surprised me with their resilience, their thirst for knowledge, and it has been inspiring to be their teacher. A lot of these kids come from home backgrounds that are not ideal but they work hard. I mean what kindergartener do you know is learning the concepts of multiplication, division, fractions, and nailing it? I am so lucky to have been part of the start of shaping them into the wonderful people I know they will be. My school is located right in the middle of the projects and I make it my mission as the teacher of these kids that they will get out.

I think this will be a blessing & a curse... but on the last day of school, my principal informed me that I will be looping with my kiddos. I will be teaching 1st grade next year but my class will have a mix of my kids and some other kids from the other K class. I was not happy with the decision at first --as it also splits my co-teacher and I up. She's awesome and we really jive well together in the classroom. However, it will be fun to watch how much more these students of mine will continue to grow. 

I just finished my first week of summer break. I will blog about what i've been up to lately in another post and start crossing things off my summer bucket list! :) Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi :) Thanks for stopping by!